12 thoughts on “March 2022

• 1st April 2022 at 10:13 pm

It’s me again! I’m really struggling to get to grips with Boatman’s puzzle. I can’t understand the instructions! Am I alone?

• 1st April 2022 at 10:49 pm

Oh, probably not!
    1,1 does not refer to the cell at 1,1, if that makes things at all clearer.

• 3rd April 2022 at 5:16 pm

Not really! I had thought that it must be something more obscure – which it clearly is! I’m still none the wiser but will continue to search all avenues and hope for a Eureka moment! Thanks anyway.

• 3rd April 2022 at 5:23 pm

Well… first of all, look at the title. Then think about 1ac more carefully, particularly the first few words. That might give you a clue as to the solution.
        Dot hese help you at all?
        Must dash!
        H

• 5th April 2022 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Hamish. Having looked at the title and 1 ac and finally fallen asleep I’m afraid I will have to wait for the answers in the next issue! Frustrating!
          S

• 5th April 2022 at 8:33 pm

Reread the middle two lines of my last message… it wasn’t a typo!

• 19th April 2022 at 9:19 am

(1,1) normally indicates the coordinates of the top left-hand square. (1A,1D) is the format generally used to refer to the lights starting from that square. Even an unconventional puzzle needs some degree of normality to set one on the right track.

It’s an interesting puzzle, nonetheless, and great fun, albeit challenging. I’ve often wondered if one like it would work. So far I have solved the perimeter plus an across and a down solution. The anagrams are doing my head in, and I reckon myself to be semi-literate in this gibberish, with a certificate to prove it.

Alan G0ILG

• 19th April 2022 at 9:21 am

Yes, the anagrams are incredibly difficult. It’s more like a process of elimination than anagrams per se!

• 20th April 2022 at 9:29 pm

Well, I’ve learnt a lot – thanks to you both. It really is a challenge and I have managed the perimeter and three other down clues but don’t think I will finish it! It amazes me how a crossword such as this is compiled. A tour de force!
    Best wishes
    Sarah

• 20th April 2022 at 10:24 pm

I am managing to solve one or two clues per day, so do keep at it. I have found a new addictive game as well – finding words that share the same symbols in the same order. There are some really incongruous pairings, as Boatman has shown. It’s a bit like the Only Connect Missing Vowels round.

• 22nd April 2022 at 8:33 am

The missing vowels in Only Connect is the only bit I can usually do, although I enjoy the Wall! It’s an addictive programme!
    I’m persevering with current challenge!