11 thoughts on “January 2022

• 5th February 2022 at 9:17 pm

Thanks. I wondered if there were a typo in 24ac in 2064 – or it’s just really hard.

• 5th February 2022 at 9:19 pm

Which puzzle is 2064? (I don’t have the magazine to hand!)

• 5th February 2022 at 9:27 pm

If it’s Radler, then it should be ‘Payback amount arranged by audience’, which I think is what’s printed.

• 5th February 2022 at 9:43 pm

Araucaria. One of the definitions seems very loose for an obscure word (though not to you, presumably).

• 5th February 2022 at 9:46 pm

Ah, I don’t see those – we just publish them as they were. If you want to wing me an email I’ll have a look.

• 5th February 2022 at 9:53 pm

Gonzo’s right – Araucaria made a mistake. (It happens sometimes!) For 24ac, ‘Plain body’ should be ‘Plant body’.

• 13th March 2022 at 8:48 pm

In 2065, is there anything extra in the alternative letters? I ask because 25a&d could both start with H, or both with C.
    Also I think 3d reads more naturally as indicating EERIE as the answer.

• 13th March 2022 at 9:06 pm

Both valid comments! The C/H one reminds me of a clue along the lines of ‘yellow edible liquid’ being _USTARD 🙂

• 13th March 2022 at 10:01 pm

I enjoyed the tussle with yours, but it was a DNF. I picked JOULE for 17 despite accidentally glimpsing the solution in Feb’s whilst looking up another puzzle. That left me with a wrong crosser for MACAROON, the ‘maroon’ eqivalence eluded me. Didn’t know JONAH was a prophet so the wordplay was no help in that case. Should have got PANTHEON, but ‘pant’ for ‘throb’ would not have occured to me (I acknowledge it’s in Chambers).
    Finishec Radler’s Denglisch, liked most of it but:
    32 ‘in lift’ for reversal in an across clue?
    33 don’t think ‘outside of’ works as a deletion indicator
    3 ‘in turns’ had to be explained after the fact – not sure.
    There were a lot to like of course in all.