Home Forums Your puzzles Wheels Within Wheels

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gonzo 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Gonzo
    Participant

Hi all,
    no apologies for the unconventional grid, as I only had 159 words to choose from, including variant spellings 😉

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Got just over half so far. Not fully parsed some. Struggling to progress further.
    Trying to figure out, from the answers I’ve got so far, why you had only 159 words to pick from. No idea, perhaps all will become clear later.
    34’s neat.
    Ciao for now…

Gonzo
    Participant

Hi Void,
    Don’t worry if you can’t see the theme – it’s not General Knowledge.
    Solutions in a day or so.

chameleon
    Participant

Just a note to say I’ll be having a go at this over the weekend. Thanks Gonzo

Chameleon

Gonzo
    Participant

Solution 🙂
    If anyone wants to try making a grid with my word list, I’ll post it here. You may have better software than I.

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

I went back and got a few more answers before looking at the solution. I thought the theme might have been in that realm, but I’m not familiar with it, so no help for me there. Minor nitpick: “French” and “students” both used twice in the clues. I’d never have got 23 if I hadn’t read Alice Roberts’ book last year. I misspelled 13, with an a for an i, which actually still works for your clue, I think! Apart from being wrong. D’oh. Didn’t know the word in 15, or the ready in 10 (but got that one). Didn’t get 25, as I had the other commonly used second half in my head, even though it’s not the one I tend to use. D’oh again.
    29… ah, I see.
    2. Got the derivation, but had the middle two letters swapped, so didn’t find it when I tried to look it up. 🙂
    Annoyed not to have got 11. Didn’t know the word in 14, so can’t use my spelling error as an excuse.
    Don’t get “mine”. Am I being dim?
    Fave clues 21, 34 (thought it was a quint def, with dodgy “market”!)
    Cheers

Gonzo
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. It’s tricky finding alternatives to the French bits to clue those psrticular particles. Would Liberal work instead of student for the surface in either case?
    Is it 26 where you are puzzled by ‘mine’? It’s the last definition of the noun in Chambers.
    Glad you didn’t baulk at 33 – I had qualms about the ‘impeccable’. I wasn’t happy about 2 but couldn’t fix it in the grid.
    Still chortling about 22 personally.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Gonzo.

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Yes, 26: okay, I shall have to look that up. “French learner” would work in 28, I think. Are trees “pursued”? I mean, they don’t run away very quickly. 🙂 How about “…tree sheltering liberals”? Hmm, maybe. Actually, I quite liked 33d, after I’d read the answer. I tend to think of crossword clues as a form of jokes, so I had a small chuckle/groan at that one. Incidentally, I didn’t get 9, as I was thinking of MRS + A… “surely that must work?!” Another d’oh. Cheers.

Gonzo
    Participant

It’s the seed pods that are pursued, not the trees FWIW 🙂 How about ‘pursued by novices’?

chameleon
    Participant

I would never have guessed the theme, but that certainly didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the puzzle. There were some fantastic clues, including 10, 22 and 25. I didn’t get ROY but having seen the solution I think it’s a really neat clue, and certainly gettable if I’d given it a bit more of a think. 4 was nicely done as well.

Looking forward to the next one
    Chameleon

Gonzo
    Participant

I have one out at Big Dave’s site – my first in fact, it’s been in the queue.
    Thanks for the warm words.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.