Home Forums Your puzzles Teacage first puzzle

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  chameleon 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Teacage
    Participant

Hello

Here’s a crossword. Hopefully it’s fun. I’ve tweeted some clues @teacagexwords, but some of them probably make certain clues very easy, so don’t look unless you’re really stuck.

I’ll add the answer sheet in the week.

Best of luck
    Teacage

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi Teacage,
    Welcome aboard*. I’ve dived in, got the bottom half and some of the top so far. 14 amused me, and I thought there was something wrong with 20… until I realised why there wasn’t. Neat. Now, I can’t really say I’ve “solved” 30, but I have all the crossers, and a word that fits… which will amuse me greatly if it’s correct. Perhaps all will become clear on that front when I get around to looking at your twitter.
    Now, back to the solve…
    Cheers,
    Void
    PS Ah, I think I’ve just retro-parsed the answer to 30. Very amusing… 🙂

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi again,
    Finished. Good fun in here. Got stuck on the last few for quite a while, notably 1, since…
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    SPOILERS
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    … I was convinced the parting word must be vale. Ave seems to me a greeting word.
    Anyway, I liked 10, 27, 29, 5, 15
    Favourite: 4 Very nice!
    There are a few I can’t fully/clearly parse: 25, 28, 2 (ah, no, wait, I had the wrong last letter – yep, ok, got it!), first half of 26. I’ll wait for the keys to those…

Cheers, and…

*Yeah, didn’t think so. 😀

Void

Gonzo
    Participant

Aha very good ‘teacage’.
    You opened with your hardest clue I think, the construction seems a bit forced and I also thought ‘vale’.
    Otherwise some excellent clues here and the ‘typographic’ ones are novel.
    Ticks in particular for 16,19,5,11,23,26

10 would never have got it without crossers 🙂
    29 is the misleading ‘circling’ deliberate?
    2 are you equating ‘when’ with ‘if’?
    8 not sure on the construction here – mixture of reversal and anagrind

I admire your ability to produce interesting surfaces for what I assume are words chosen purely to fit the grid, something I struggle with.

chameleon
    Participant

I might as well add the solution now if you’ve both finished. Glad you both seem to have enjoyed it… hope you didn’t mind a couple of white lies.

The first clue was deliberately difficult. Having decided to open with some hint-hint clues (HAVE WE MET, GUESS WHO and DEJA VU) I then worried it would give the game away too quickly, so I split GUESS WHO up and tried to make sure HAVE WE MET was a clue that would resist a first-go solve. I wasn’t too sure about AVE but Google said it was a word of greeting or parting, and etymologically I think it’s basically “fare well”, so I ran with it.

Glad you liked, 4, Void. I was pretty pleased with myself when I spotted those two characters could be used in that way. Let me know if your parsing queries aren’t cleared up by the solution.

It hadn’t really occurred to me that there were 2 typographically quirky clues in there, but I’m glad you liked them, Gonzo. ‘Circling’ at 29 wasn’t intentionally anagrindy: I changed it from “highlighting” for surface reasons, but probably shouldn’t have. With 2, I’m guessing that you’ve got the answer as AMERICAN (as I think Void had for a while^), and so you’re thinking ‘an’=’when’ as in the obsolete usage of ‘an’ for ‘if’? A pretty fair alternative parsing which I hadn’t spotted – whoops. To clarify, I meant AMERICAS, with “when” for AS, but 16/NEW WORLD could define AMERICAN(adj.) or AMERICAS(n.) and it probably fits the former better without the definite article, so yeah, mea culpa, to carry on with the Latin 101. Let me know if the solution doesn’t clear up 8 for you.

Thanks for the comment re: surfaces. I did load the dice a bit. HAVE WE MET, GUESS / WHO, DEJA VU, BINOMIAL, COPPER (had that suitably Chameleonic clue on file), DISGUISE, CHARADE, SIGNED and the bottom two were deliberately “themey” entries, and then I more or less had to take what I could get with the remaining lights. HYDRA and FALSETTO were serendipitous fits, but I’d rather not have had the NEW WORLD/AMERICAS doublet even without the unforeseen parsing confusions, just because they might suggest a transatlantic theme that isn’t there. And DAESH wasn’t ideal, either but it was that or DOETH at that point.

Thanks for solving, as this would have been a truly pointless exercise otherwise… I’m interested to know how soon the penny dropped and whether you needed the pretty deranged supplementary material on Twitter?

Chameleon

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi, uh, Chameleon,

Ah, 11 refers to lower case? Got it. 25a, I had disburse as a homophone for dis-purse (how the ID fraudsters got their info), but couldn’t work out how “burse” was “men”… or, apparently spot that that ‘solve’ meant there was no definition. D’oh. The rest are all clear now, thanks.
    I’d spotted some crosswordiness to the clues, but didn’t really twig until I saw what would fit in 30. Totally failed to spot the surface connection of change colour, connect guess with who, or notice the significance of… Well, most of it until after the penny had dropped. Warned off, I didn’t look at teacage’s tweets until after I’d finished solving.

Well done though, it was a fun trick to play.
    Ciao,
    Void

Gonzo
    Participant

I needed the M,L and O of CHAMELEON before I got that clue, which then explained SIGNED and CHARADE – didn’t look at Twitter.
    I didn’t get the use of ‘on’ as a containment indicator in 1 – fair play.
    You’re right about my getting AMERICAN for 2, for that reason.
    In 8 you are saying ‘change END to DEN, then change it again to NED’. It could be done in one step, so an interesting construction – not saying it’s wrong.

Looking forward to your next.

chameleon
    Participant

Void, I was in two minds over whether it was necessary to highlight the case in 11 with “little lead”… are caps just the default for crosswording? And you’re right, Gonzo, that the END > DEN > NED process is a bit strange. I think my instinct is that it *is* wrong, or at least inelegant, but it worked well with the construction I wanted for that particular clue. Thanks both for the answers on when the penny dropped, and for humouring “me”.

I doubt there’ll be a Teacage #2, but who knows? It could evolve into a Jekyll/Hyde dynamic and be out of my hands…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.