Home Forums Your puzzles Puzzle 9 by Gonzo

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gonzo 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Gonzo
    Participant

Hello both, here’s a recent puzzle.

Attachments:
    1. Puzzle-9.pdf

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi Gonzo,
    I’ve had a bash, and I’m stuck in the NE corner. I’ll give it another go in a while..

chameleon
    Participant

Just to say: I’ve also made a start on this, and I’m also stuck in the NE corner (and on the NNE clue). I’ll check the solution and reply fully tomorrow if the rest hasn’t fallen into place by then.

chameleon
    Participant

(Just realised there isn’t a solution yet- I’ll reply tomorrow anyway)

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

I’m still stuck on 6,7,8,10. I have the first half of 11, and I have something that fits the second half, but I’m not entirely comfortable it fits the wordplay, but it probably does. That then gives me something to fit 6, but I don’t get why. That in turns gives me an answer for 10, but I’m not sure if it’s right. Hmm!

Meanwhile, I liked 20 (funny) 23 (took me a while with grunt) 24 12 18 5.
    3 I would have said “peg” were it not for the wordplay. Not familiar with the alternative, but it seems reasonable.
    5 I got the answer by the time I’d got to the comma, but took a long while to parse the clue fully. Bit of a minor epic, that one.
    15 I’ve got the answer, but…. AHHH, just got it. Clever.

I’ll check out the solution when it’s up, although I’m off on holiday on Saturday, so might not comment for a while.

A freshie from me tomorrow….

Cheers!

Gonzo
    Participant

Oh dear, I didn’t mean to cram all the hard clues into one corner – that’s where the obscure word is though.
    Yes, 5d is an epic. I could have gone with just ‘Dawn…’ but that’s more GK and the surface makes less sense.
    Solution attached.

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

11 Ah, I didn’t know the phrase, so my guess of person was wrong.
    6 That was the answer I had pencilled, but couldn’t parse. I can’t decide if your clue works, or if it it lacks a subtraction indicator. Certainly feels like the latter to me, but maybe the “as” is throwing me off.
    10 I was thinking plummy, so, close…
    8 Fair enough. I did wonder over “relate”, so perhaps I should have got there.
    7 Excellent obscure word (which I shall try to remember now), but not one I could get, despite thinking “it must be rum something”.

Gonzo
    Participant

In 6, I’m saying
    A+B=C+D (modulo anagram)
    so you have to rearrange the equation yourself, which then gives a subtraction
    B=C+D-A (modulo anagram)
    Compare with 29d at

AZED 2,454

where he also weaves the definition into the wordplay.
    Suggestions for alternative clues for 7 welcomed 🙂

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

6 Okay.
    7 Something with rhubarb… or her majesty being into a rub… 🙂

chameleon
    Participant

Hi, Gonzo. Thanks for this. I had ticks for 9, 13, 20 (satisfying to solve although I hadn’t heard of the bird; I was surprised the Rev. S wasn’t called upon given the surface), 4, 15, and the great closing one-two of 21 and 22. The last one was particularly good. In the end I couldn’t get 5a, 6, 8 or 10, although I thought the answer to 6 probably was REPAPER and thought ‘relate’ might be involved in 8. I thought 7 would be AB containing ‘bearing’ NNE in some way. I’ve never heard RHUMB but I’ll try and remember it too. 2d was a new word for me too, although clear enough cluing in hindsight. I was convinced it’d be UNIT somehow.

Couple of ?s: I’m not sure I’m keen on the entwining of wordplay/def in 10, the defs in 25 seemed too similar, and doesn’t ‘That place kept little Edward’ suggest THERE containining TED rather than the other way round? Unless ‘tied up’ is doing double duty.

Off to give Void’s a go now.

Chameleon

chameleon
    Participant

Regularly rehaul my jib’s stern using this? (5)

(weak)

Gonzo
    Participant

Thanks Chameleon, glad you liked it overall. I was set on not mentioning Rev. Spooner in 20, although now I see it would have been appropriate.
    In 25 I know what you mean, though there are usages where the meanings aren’t interchangeable – ‘He as good as told me so himself’, ‘I’m as good as you at golf’.
    In 16 you have to supply a comma after ‘kept’ – hence ‘kept’ rather than ‘keeping’ (we’re generally enjoined to avoid the past tense, are we not?)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.