Home Forums Your puzzles Puzzle 5 – 'Four points' – by Gonzo

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gonzo 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Gonzo
    Participant

Hello Chameleon and Void and lurkers,
    stepping back in time, puzzle 5 for you.

Attachments:
    1. Puzzle-5.pdf

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi Gonzo,
    Some fun ones in here. I’m stuck on 9,11 & half of 6, so I’ll have break, and come back to it with a fresh coffee in a while.
    Cheers,
    Void

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hey Gonzo,
    Another coffee, and I give up.

SPOILERS
    Meanwhile, I liked 13, 1 (plural issue in there? ready/readies?), 5, 15 (nice variant of an old joke), 20d, 23a, 23d (except I don’t get either “pop”, or else where the last two letters come from), 25, 26.

I spent ages on 17 ‘cos I thought there was a homophone indicator.
    6 I get the device, but I can’t think of a 4-letter word ending in a for a Maori, or a word for the aura. I expect I’ll kick myself, but I refuse to search. 🙂
    9 I assume the first phrase is the definition, which has got me thinking solenoid, tidal generator, wave power, etc etc, but I can’t think of anything that fits, or get into the wordplay. I really feel like I ought to be able to get it from the crossers I have so far!
    11 Seems like it ought to be simple, but I’m stumped.

Looking forward to the answers,
    Thanks for the puzzle,
    Void

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Oh, and I don’t get how lank means limp. It’s tall in my book.

Gonzo
    Participant

Hi Void
    Some hints:
    6 Think seance
    9 You are on the right lines, it’s a subtractive anagram
    23d ‘Pop goes the weasel’

Chambers has for lanky ‘lean,tall and ungainly; long and limp’
    Solution tonight.

Gonzo
    Participant

Oh, and the name of the puzzle should help

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Edit: Forgot to mention that yes, I’d (eventually) noted the puzzle name.

Okay, got there. Like a pillock, I had typed the wrong last letter to 13, so that had killed any thoughts of anagramising to solve 9. You can now add 9 to my likes. I don’t think I knew the name of the tube, but deduced it once I had the last letter. I shall now go and look up “mana”.
    Note to self: In future, don’t question word meanings without bothering to actually look them up. Sorry.

Cheers!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  TheVoidTLMB.

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

PS 3 “abouts”. Could’ve used “over” in 5.
    Quite heavy on charades…

Gonzo
    Participant

Fair points, though there are no pure charades, but I know what you mean.
    Solution:

chameleon
    Participant

Hi Gonzo,

Good fun this. I solved most of it quite quickly although I ended up having the NADIR/ADDLE and EMANATION/ANNUL intersections unfinished. I got NADIR/ADDLE in the end, but not the others. I had vaguely heard of ‘mana’ but it didn’t come to me in the moment. I kept thinking the surgical tube might be a ‘canal’; I don’t think I’ve heard of a cannula. Other than that the four compass solutions were all quickly gettable once some crossers were in, which then gave the initials or final letters to most of the rest. Looking at my sheet, I have ticks for “Workers with brains”, 12a, 25a, 20d (very nice construction) and 23 down.

Quibbles: I ticked 23d because it made me smile, but (as you probably don’t need me to tell you) I don’t think that sort of wordplay-process-in-definition definition is always seen as fair. I don’t think the ‘Tyne’ example is really fair, although I did like the surface in that clue. Also, I’m not sure about “helps to recall” as a definition for MNEMONICS. Initially I was thinking the grammar didn’t really fit (should be ‘[they] help to recall’) but now it occurs to me that maybe ‘helps’ is meant as a noun, as in ‘aides to memory’? I’m not sure ‘helps’ works that way.

Still lots of good fun to be had, and I really liked the four edge clues. When I saw ‘Lovestruck Romeo’ at 1d I wondered whether you were doing a Dire Straits theme on the heels of your last musical theme.

Thanks
    Chameleon

Gonzo
    Participant

Hi Chameleon, thanks for solving.
    I did mean ‘helps’ as the plural of ‘something that assists’, as I thought ‘aids’ telegraphed the definition: but I see that it is an uncountable noun, so mea culpa.
    Glad you liked the lovestruck Romeo, it just fell out of the wordplay 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.