Home Forums Your puzzles May puzzle by The Void

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TheVoidTLMB 5 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi,
    Sorry I haven’t been giving feedback myself. Been away/a bit busy/lazy. Also, I meant to post this one a few weeks ago, so better late than never. The solution can be found via https://tlmb.net/blog/may-2019-cryptic-solution/ .
    Hope you enjoy,
    Void

Gonzo
    Participant

Good overall, I have ticks against 10,12,16,20,21 and 27.
    *****SPOILERS****
    I thought the two definitions in 18 were insufficiently distinct.
    I had to research Ms. Up , and the director in 7 is known to me but those two were parsed after the fact. One woman’s GK…
    Is there more to 11 and the definition in 19 than meets the eye?
    Wouldn’t have got 8 without the crossers, but interesting.
    Oh, and I can’t see the band, but if it is the same genre as Ms Up I am unlikely to.
    Thanks Void

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Gonzo.

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi Gonzo,
    Thanks for solving, and feedback. Glad you liked it overall.
    10 was one of my faves, so pleased you liked that one. Which 16 did you like: across or down? D is funnier, A could be tough, so I hoped a triple CD was fair.
    **SPOILERS***
    I had the defs in 18 as being i. what a losing combatant might do, and ii. what a farmer might be either pleased or disappointed about. Verb for one, noun for the other. I can see that you might read the first in a similar way to the second though so, yeah, I suppose I missed that.
    GKs… Perhaps the fairness hinges on whether you parsed them after the fact “…of having solved them”, or “…of checking the answers”. (I’m assuming the former.) I know the rule that “if the answer requires GK, the wordplay shouldn’t be too tough”, but just now I’m wondering what the rule might be about GK within the wordplay, as in these two. If the rule of thumb is “don’t”, then I’m probably always likely to break it. But, sparingly, I hope, at least on a per-puzzle basis.
    11 is a CD, although, depending on what direction your brain leaps, you might say “not very C”. (Looking on wiki, apparently there are differences of opinion on the matter…)
    19’s def… A matter of opinion? Or a matter of how well-informed you are… No doubt an editor on a proper paper would not have let me get away with this one. 🙂
    I was writing 8 at the same time as a certain document was being published. I actually would have preferred a solid block without the gaps, but couldn’t find a character set which would cut-and-paste into Crossfire nicely. I’ll take “interesting” as a comment!
    The band are current, but tragically not as well-known as their talents deserve. They’re revealed by two consecutive clues, but if you don’t want a spoiler, then don’t mouseover this. (Not the same genre, maybe “cinematic rock stories” works. Try #s 1, 11, 8 in that link, in increasing order of raaawkiness, if you fancy a dabble.)
    Cheers.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  TheVoidTLMB.

Gonzo
    Participant

On 18 I guess what I mean is that the two verb meanings started out identical (to cede, let go of, offer up (a defended position, crops)) and one became capable of a metaphorical interpretation. But you could say that about a lot of double definitions.
    I still don’t understand 19, but it’s ignorance I can live with. Will your clue be understood in 20 years time in the way ones referencing Trump will?

chameleon
    Participant

Sorry for the delay in commenting on this one as well. Interesting that there was an (undetected by me, I’m afraid) musical aspect to this one as with Gonzo’s. I liked 8 across and had pondered a similar idea myself, once, so I got that one straight away. ‘Cave-owner’ made me laugh. I didn’t think the 18 across DD was sufficiently cryptic, but as Gonzo said there are lots of DD you could say that about. Other ticks for 2, 23d, and 28 across. I liked the spoonerism as well.

Gonzo, I think 19 REX inside BIT, as in the phrase “bit on the side”.. although I’m not sure the term’s specifically means a “young woman”, with “Venal plot” as the definition. Is that right, Void? I did wonder whether “Venal plot” was a famous description of the solution by someone opposed to it, but I couldn’t find anything. I suppose some editors would be spooked by a clue that seemed to be editorialising (not that that especially matters here), so maybe using a quoted description by someone else as the solution would let you have your cake and eat it?

Chameleon

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Thanks Chameleon. Your analysis of 19 is spot on. I thought that young woman wasn’t enough (and, indeed, the last time I remember hearing it being used was by a girl of her bf), which is why I added the bracketed term. (“IMO”…) the venality has been clearly revealed by good journalism, but sadly not widely disseminated enough. I certainly hope the clue will hold up in 20 years. Hope might be all I’ve got though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.