Home Forums Your puzzles Knowing Me, Knowing Clue

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TheVoidTLMB 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

chameleon
    Participant

I decided it might be fun to try and work with a theme for my next crossword, and chose ABBA as they’re obviously very well-known. I quickly realised a theme can sometimes be more trouble than it’s worth! Hopefully there’s still some fun to be had here, although some clues are a bit strained because of the theme.

By pure coincidence I just found out tomorrow (5th April) is Agnetha Fรคltskog’s birthday, so that’s nice.

I’ll post the solution in a few days.

Chameleon ๐ŸฆŽ

Attachments:
    1. Chameleon-ABBA.pdf

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Been having ago, despite the theme. (Not a fan ๐Ÿ™‚ ) Got just over half so far, mostly on the rhs.
    Faves 2,3,6d,22,28. Not sure about the “twice” in 5d, so I must be missing something there.
    As for 20… blimey.

Gonzo
    Participant

Nicely tricksy, favourites 17ac,1,5 and 20 – which amazingly I dredged up from memory using only the crossers, without a clear idea of the meaning.
    Had to word-search a couple which I should have got but pressed for time.
    Thanks chameleon.

chameleon
    Participant

Very impressed you dredged up 20, Gonzo!

Here’s the solution. You’ll find the ‘twice’ from 5d explained there, Void.

Chameleon

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Ah. I am evidently far too old fashioned, as I had Disc for the record (isn’t disco Latin for “I listen”? Edit: No, it’s I learn. Which still “works”, kinda.), which fitted nicely with Drawbridge. ๐Ÿ™‚ So that stymied that corner for me, as I couldn’t work out why 21 surely must be “ideals”, or why 24 wasn’t tyre. And of course, I fell for the trap of thinking “14” referred to 14d, so no help for me there. Now that I see it, 1d is really nice, and I’m annoyed not to have got it.
    Thanks for G – I’ll take note ahem. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Nice puzzle, cheers!
    Void

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  TheVoidTLMB.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.