Home Forums Your puzzles Chameleon #7

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  chameleon 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

chameleon
    Participant

Hi there,

Chameleon #7 attached here. I’ve been told it’s a tough one, although it wasn’t really supposed to be.

Solution in a couple of days

Chameleon

Attachments:
    1. Chameleon-7.pdf

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi Chameleon,

A little bit of SPOILERINESS
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    |
    |
    |
    v
    v
    v
    To repeat, and add to my Twitter comments…

10, 4 I liked a lot, for the humour.
    19, 22, 16 Favourites.
    I like the def of 7.
    12 Solved it pdq, from the def/enumeration, but it took me ages to parse. The GK was fairly obscure, but it was deep in the far recesses of my memory, and it eventually surfaced. Perhaps that’s okay with the easy def, tho’.
    24 & 28 were new words for me to learn, but I did manage to get them after light wrestling with the wordplay, so fair enough.

2 I spent ages looking to remove “or” or “au” from a word meaning “search for”, before I fiiiiiinally saw where the def was, and that it wasn’t an obscure one. D’oh. My fault. But then I started to wonder about “most of”. I may have used a “bits of the word” indicator myself before (I’m not sure), but now I wonder if that’s fair without an indication of which bits. If “most of” is to mean “more than half”, then how do we know if we’re to look for (in this case) 5, 6, 7 or 8 letters? If we were just looking for “the first X letters of…”, then maybe okay, but if we’re to anagramise them as well, it feels quite tricksy to me (and more so if the def had been harder.) Is there a convention on this?
    23 I don’t get “Stormy”…?
    Minor quibble: two “void” clues, and two “gold” clues.

Overall, a good puzzle, which I found challenging, but it kept me going with “I’m sure I can get one more clue…” moments until the end.

Cheers!
    Void

chameleon
    Participant

Glad you liked the humourous ones (/found them humorous at all!). I’m not sure how STFU would be received in newspaper, but I thought it was fine for a personal blog.

With 12, I decided that since the enumeration would make it fairly obvious it’d be fine to use a bit of fairly obscure GK. I hoped that it was a book lots of crossworders might already be familiar with (a recent astonishing lipogramatic Guardian prize puzzle referenced it as well). I wanted to have ENNEADS in there for the sudoku reference, so I was sort of forced to use PRION, a word I hadn’t heard of before: I tried to make the PRION clue as easy/intuitive as possible.

I had it in my head that there was a convention that “most of”/”majority of” in anagram clues could be used to mean 50%+1 letter (so CHAMEL in CHAMELEONS). Having a quick look, there’s some support for this in the Fifteensquared archive, but it’s possibly not as widespread/accepted a convention as I’d thought. “Majority of” would’ve been better than “most of” in this case, anyway, and wouldn’t have affected the surface.

23 Stormy is GUSTY, with the “saint” upset to TS. Reference to Stormy Daniels, obvs.

Point taken on the “void” and “gold” repetitions. The first could be remedied by changing “A Void” to “La Disparition” and expecting even more GK from the solver 😊. I nearly had “Alternative” instead of “gold” in the ORIGAMI clue, but actually although I see that clue being used a lot, I don’t think there’s any sentence in the English language where “or” could be substituted for “alternative”, so I don’t think that’s fair. “Alternatively” would work, I guess.

Glad you found enough enjoyment in it to persevere.

chameleon
    Participant

(Here’s the Perec-inspired E-less puzzle from Brendan (or should that be Brandon) https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/prize/27734#26-across)

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Ah, having got the answer, I was thinking GUY “has” TS, but couldn’t link guy to Stormy. Got it now, thanks.
    I knew Prion (but only in a different definition), as it was in the news a fair bit during the Mad Cow Disease news story, but I guess that’s quite a while back.
    Thanks for info on “most of”. Noted.
    Cheers!

Gonzo
    Participant

Hi Chameleon,
    I can see why this was considered hard. I preferred the obscure words clued with precise wordplay to the easy words requiring GK or cross-reference plus substitution. If you had used La Disparition rather than A Void it would have at least been easy to websearch 🙂 Brendan’s lipogram puzzle was amazing.
    In 2d I didn’t like the definition, you could have used ‘immortality’ just as well. Whilst I did think ‘most of’ meant half the letters (or +1 with an odd number), the ‘s at the end I took to be ‘has’ and so had only CHAME.
    Did you spot that 16 could also be UNDERNOTE ? Which can also mean ‘undertone’ 😉
    I’ve never heard of Stormy Daniels (is this a current affairs reference?) and also was wondering where GUY came in.
    Favourites 17ac,28,14
    New words PRION in that sense, ENNEADS, VOICE PIPE.
    Kudos on your Cluedoku publication. The bit.ly link is wrong though – should be lower case c.
    Thanks.

chameleon
    Participant

Hi Gonzo,

I wasn’t really sure over how to define ALCHEMY, partly because it isn’t/wasn’t *just* a search for gold or a search for immortality. I considered just using “Pseudoscience” and maybe I should’ve gone with that – would still have been a niceish surface.

Didn’t spot the UNDERTONE possibility – whoops. Stormy Daniels is a woman who was given hush money over an affair with Donald Trump …[best Ian Hislop voice] allegedy. I wasn’t really happy with PRION or VOICE PIPE, but couldn’t do much to avoid them. Glad you enjoyed the ENNEADS clue, though. Weird word. Kept wanting to do a Qaotic clue like (10-1) + (1-1) + 1 + 500 + (6-9) = (9)(9)(9)…, i..e. [t]EN + [o]NE + A + D + S[ix] = 999999, but didn’t think it was a very fair way of cluing an obscurity.

Thanks for perservering,
    Chameleon

P.S. I think I’m in Rookie Corner on Monday, with a puzzle that should hopefully be easier – if the two of you aren’t all Chameleoned out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.