Home Forums Your puzzles Chameleon 10

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  chameleon 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

chameleon
    Participant

Hi all

Here’s my latest crossword. In-browser solve including cheat buttons here: http://crossword.info/chameleon/Chameleon_10/

Early feedback elsewhere suggests “tough but satisfying”.

Chameleon

Attachments:
    1. chameleon-10.pdf

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi,

Saw this one when you tweeted it. Worked through it at a steady pace. Enjoyable.
    Favourites 12 13 23 24 (I thought the friendly bit was erroneous here, but dictionary says it’s friendly wth or without a cordial 🙂 ) 1 10d (nicely meta) 15 (don’t know why I found this so funny…) 20

**SPOILERS**
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    v

26 Referring to the musical’s reception across the pond?
    19 The supposed Martians are men?
    I can’t fully parse 8 …?

Good one, cheers!
    Void

chameleon
    Participant

Hi Void, glad you enjoyed. 26 is supposed to be AUSTEN + A US TEN (a $10 bill has Alexander Hamilton on it). The reference in 19 is to the book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus – I thought that was quite a neat clue, but so far 3/4 known solvers have queried what I was getting at with MEN. The parsing on 8 is STEAMY (‘erotic’) with a D[ate] replacing M[onsieur].

Thanks
    Chameleon

TheVoidTLMB
    Participant

Hi,
    26, ah, right parsing, wrong reason – I don’t know my dollars. So they’re both “of note” then.
    19/8 Fair enough.
    Cheers!

Gonzo
    Participant

Hi Chameleon,
    This went in fairly steadily once I got going. Ticks against
    5,13,23,1d,8 and 26 once I saw the explanation here. Favourite has to be 23.

1a did you toy with ‘proctologist’? (Never toy with a proctologist!)
    9 Seen something similar for this word recently. In danger of becoming a chestnut.
    21 ‘Bender’ or ‘charlatan’ didn’t fit, so I needed the crossers.
    24 Three times in a month for this one – all clued differently.
    27 Horrible word. I feel there is a clue with ‘…start, users having no rights’ somewhere.
    6 One to store away in the memory – not in Chambers.
    10 Seen this likewise, but isn’t the definition deficient? ‘No 10 here’?
    19 Ah, I think that book is Yesterday’s Zeitgeist now.
    26 Did you know the face on the $10 beforehand? I might have seen the McGuffin with time. I went off down the path of the musical – Hamilton is currently played off-Broadway by Austin Scott.

Thanks for the fun.

chameleon
    Participant

Hi Gonzo,

Glad that 13 got thumbs up from both of you as I was worried it wasn’t fair.

Procologist didn’t occur to me, but I did consider “Trump” as US usage indicator with the added bonus of a scatological vibe. I think “ass” is universal enough to not need US indication, though, at least in an online venue.

Ha, re: Geller comments.

10 I reasoned that “Downing Street” and “No 10” were sufficiently synonymous as they’re both shorthand for “the PM and their office”.

26 I didn’t know the face without checking, no, but hoped it might be fine to be a bit obscure assuming that AUSTEN might occur to solvers by that point if they’d noticed there’s a hidden TEN in every row of across solutions: TENNIS, TENNANT, WEST END, EXISTENT, TEND, TENDERS and ENTENTE. And the def was meant as “Writer” btw, Void; ‘of note’ purely in the wordplay half of the equation – no double duty here!

I’ve got another Rookie in the queue. Possibly this Monday’s but probably later next month.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.