Home Forums Your puzzles A puzzle by Italicus

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Whynot 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Italicus
    Participant

Here is a puzzle I hope you will enjoy solving as much as I enjoyed setting it. I would be very grayeful for any feedback, thoughts or opinions on it. Good luck!

joeplus
    Participant

Returning the favour here – I really enjoyed this. I’ll try to avoid directly spoiling the theme for others who haven’t attempted.

Skimming the clues I hazarded a guess what 20 might be – luckily that was soon confirmed by 8D. After that it was a quick solve (no bad thing!). All the themed clues worked tightly with 13D and 11A particularly amusing. It must have been tricky to fit so many good ones in the grid. Aside from the themed ones, other favourites were 22A, 7D and 19D.

Clues were neat and the surfaces read naturally, two things I really like. It was quite easy to pick out the definition in each clue, which is OK by me in a light puzzle.

Small suggestions:
    As the theme meant there were fewer clues in which to fit a variety of types, three “hidden word” clues seemed like a lot.
    6A: I don’t understand the definition, perhaps from legalese/bridge? Or meaning “solicitor” = one who solicits – which slightly suggests the opposite of the answer, if that makes sense.
    3D: Does one “resolve” a murder? There might be an anag indicator that’s a better fit.
    4D: “to get to” seems quite long for a link phrase between wordplay & defn.

Otherwise a fun solve and hard to give much further crit!

Italicus
    Participant

Hi Joe, many thanks for the kind words and useful observations. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to see some more of your work here soon

Jack Aubrey
    Participant

I agree – it was a fun solve and brought plenty of smiles along the way and had some nice misdirections. The theme was well-handled: brave to have so many themed answers; but, unlike many thematics, finding the theme didn’t lead to a series of write-ins. Possibly overall a bit anagram-heavy for some tastes, but I enjoy them, so no complaint from me on that score. Unlike Joes, I didn’t have a problem with 6 across: a valid short form of a longer term that fits the definition well. (I won’t explain further for fear of spoilers!) For “resolve” in 3 down I read the surface meaning as “solve again”, which also seemed ok.

Whynot
    Participant

Hello Italicus. I like the look of your puzzle. Most intriguing. I’ve just done Nutkin’s and would like to try yours too, but as with his, prefer to be sure I can get the answers if need be. If you upload your solution, I’ll be happy to try your puzzle and give you feedback. Cheers.

Italicus
    Participant

Hi Whynot,
    Here is the solution and a breakdown of each clue. Hopefully, you won’t need it! Would be very happy to hear your feedback. I will download your puzzle and have a go at it over the weekend.
    All the best
    Brendan/Italicus

Attachments:

Whynot
    Participant

Cheers, Brendan

Will try to get to it over the weekend if I have time.

Tony / Whynot

robertprocter
    Participant

I enjoyed this, particularly being able to print it out on a single page. I do wish you could do the same with the magazine puzzles so that I won’t have to apply to apply scissors and pritstick every month!!

Whynot
    Participant

Excellent puzzle!

Slightly unfortunately for you (as deceiver), perhaps, I guessed the theme as soon as I looked at 1a, because I created a puzzle about a month ago using the same idea (but implemented in a slightly different way). I was in fact (but am no longer!) thinking of putting that puzzle up here in due course. Well done for getting in ten themed answers. That really is very impressive (I only managed seven or eight, depending how you count — say no more). They were all excellent examples of their type as well.

I think Joeplus has pretty much covered everything I would have wanted to say, positive and negative. I did wonder about 26 across, which I hadn’t heard before, but I see it’s well attested even though not apparently in Chambers. Not quite sure what “hugging” does in 12? Since they cross, I think using 27 in the wordplay for 21 was slightly bad form and I was worried I might not manage the SE corner — but I did, so maybe not a big problem. 19d was very nice to see, since it’s supposedly the word Araucaria used to describe his hopes for 1across Magazine. Was that intentional?

I think Hamish was right to advise leaving 20a unclued, which makes a fairly gentle puzzle more challenging (for those whose head isn’t full of their own similar creation!). Did you get other editorial input from Hamish? My own puzzle here was, happily, thoroughly vetted by Hamish, and considerably improved by his helpful remarks, but I had the impression that puzzles in this new “Your Puzzles” section were just going up “as is”.

Many thanks for the fun. I look forward too seeing more puzzles from you (hopefully not all beating me to the draw!).

Tony / Whynot

Italicus
    Participant

Hi Tony,
    Many thanks for your generous comments and apologies for beating you to the punch with the theme – a question of great minds thinking alike or of fools seldom differing, I wonder.
    Yes, I must confess Hamish did have a look at it before I posted it and I made changes to 3 clues on his suggestion.
    As for 19d, that was just a fortunate coincidence, and I agree that ‘hugging’ in 12 is redundant, but was struggling to get a decent surface reading without it. Perhaps ‘above/over the waist denims’ might have been fairer.
    Today I completed your crossword, but am still struggling with the tickertape! Will put up my thoughts on it when I’m done
    Thanks once again for taking the time to comment.
    All the best
    Brendan

Whynot
    Participant

Cheers, Brendan. I’d like to think “great minds” (but not that great, I suppose). I was originally building a puzzle I’d promised Big Dave. After I’d made it, I happened to read in Hugh Stephenson’s Secrets of the Setters that that type of clue was only generally found in The Guardian (though I have seen them once or twice elsewhere since). Dave’s readership revolves round the Telegraph, so I asked first if it was likely to be welcomed. He told me they were the most villified type of clue in his experience, so I held off and did a different one I hope his solvers will like (currently scheduled for 26 Feb in Rookie Corner). Since 1across is, at least historically, close to the Guardian, this is probably the ideal spot for such a (non-professional) work (drat!). I hope the subscribers enjoy it as much as I did.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.