Home Forums Your puzzles A puzzle by Foxglove

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Foxglove 5 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Foxglove
    Participant

Here is a puzzle which I hope you enjoy. Any feedback would be welcome. I have also posted in a separate file the answers with clue explanations.

Whynot
    Participant

Thanks, Foxglove. A delightful puzzle with pitch-perfect wordplay and clear definitions. Unlike Ray (whose comment on Late Halloween I think probably belongs here), I was pleased to have an enjoyable puzzle to do which took less than an hour to complete! It could perhaps have been made harder with more deceptive definitions, but I for one enjoy a puzzle which is not too taxing. At least I get to finish it! Also it is not easy to create a puzzle with excellent meaningful surfaces like this which is at the same time not too difficult.

Thanks also for the very clear explanations. There were a couple I didn’t quite parse right.

I had a couple of question marks about the cluing. One was the use of ‘heartily’, but I see now that the QM at the end took care of that rather professionally. I did also wonder about ‘failure’ as the definition for 14a, since it originally meant an inheritance and came to be used for a death, as confirmed by my old paper Chambers. However, more modern sources such as Collins online show that the meaning has drifted further to encompass ‘failure’, as when referring to a plan.

Many thanks for the fun, Foxglove.

Foxglove
    Participant

Thanks, Whynot. Helpful feedback and good to hear that you enjoyed the puzzle.

chameleon
    Participant

I enjoyed this puzzle. Favourites included 13 down, 17 across, and, funnily enough, 1 across. Was there a significance to the title that’s gone over my head?

Foxglove
    Participant

Hi Chameleon, good to hear that you enjoyed the puzzle! There was no significance to the title.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.