8 thoughts on “March 2021

• 1st April 2021 at 8:11 pm

Hi
    I’ve just finished Komornik’s puzzle, which I found challenging but enjoyable . I have read and reread the preamble and am completely foxed as to where to start on the train journey! Please help Soup – I am put off by the preamble! I just can’t get my head round this at all!

• 1st April 2021 at 8:21 pm

So train tracks puzzles have a row of numbers along the top and a column of numbers down the side. The numbers along the top tell you how many squares in the column below it have a track piece in; the numbers along the sides tell you how many squares in the row next to them have a track piece in. Where do the numbers against the rows come from, I wonder? And where to start? Well, there usually in a train tracks puzzle you need to get from A to B, but in this one you know there are two tracks, so… … …?

• 1st April 2021 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for that. I’ve never done a train tracks puzzle before so need to have a bit of a practice! I can see the idea now but I somehow thought it was connected to the crossword grid! Am I losing the plot?! I will sleep on it and have a bash tomorrow!
      Thanks for your help.

• 1st April 2021 at 10:42 pm

Well, it *is* connected to the crossword grid, because it’s literally stuck to it. But do the train tracks connect to the grid too? I wonder. And what about the row numbers?

• 2nd April 2021 at 2:27 pm

Thanks Hamish. I’m going to sit down over the weekend and have a go! I’m intrigued that the grid is going to supply part of the conundrum, but now you mention it it makes sense – I think!!
      Happy Easter to you all.

• 20th May 2021 at 8:41 pm

Castila: yielded eventually but I needed those reference sources for sure – such a time span of composers! Never heard of GIBBONS and a tea-tray moment when I found him and understood the clue.

Conto: fun, 16 stands out in retrospect but not solvable without crossers certainly. 3 is becoming a chestnut.

I enjoyed the Komornik puzzle, and was relieved that the languages required only stretched as far as Danish – I feared some of the many Roman numerals might have been blinds and the real numerals in those rows Esperanto or something :/
    10d could have been ABETS or ABUTS to eliminate the extra A, but obviously the given piece of track at B clears up any ambiguity.

I’m DNF on Grackle’s puzzle, which is annoying as I like to think I know quite a bit about mathematics and mathematicians.
    Still without 9,10,1d and 2. Any hints before I look at the solution? Will I want to kick myself or kick Grackle?
    2 thinking DRAGON, though ‘drag’ is what you do when you can’t ‘carry’.
    10 ?E?I?T are we talking Princess Di, which leads to Dodi, but can’t make that work. Dido and Aeneas? Diana the goddess?
    1d D???ON seems likely, suggests Dalton but can’t see it; not exactly a mathematician either.

Thanks.

• 25th May 2021 at 12:34 am

Ah, an obscure mathematician and one known better for literature.
      By the way, the solution for 10 has parsing for a different clue from ‘He’s Di’s lover – died first then beheaded’.
      Was the email version different from the print version?

• 25th May 2021 at 7:48 am

No – that was a clue which was edited and I failed to change the solution. D (h)EWITT.