With apologies for the slightly late appearance this month (due to illness on my part and icy roads up North meaning the print was delayed), January’s magazine features puzzles by Phi, Grackle, a Prize from Cutter, and one from newcomer Toast. It’ll be hitting your doormats or inboxes in the next couple of days.

January 2018

7 thoughts on “January 2018

• 29th January 2018 at 9:32 am

Happy New Year, Hamish. Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell. Just to clarify, the prize this month appears to be the Phi crossword and not the Cutter one, despite what you say here and in the magazine. Is that right?

• 30th January 2018 at 8:55 am

I’d intended for it to be Cutter’s puzzle, but if we’ve got Phi in the Prize slot in the magazine then Phi it is. Good luck – it’s quite tricky! šŸ™‚

• 30th January 2018 at 10:12 am

Indeed it is! Particularly if, as I did, you confidently enter a completely wrong answer to 1d based on misreading one of the P&L clues……

• 31st January 2018 at 3:38 pm

Hello Hamish, Have only just picked up my Jan. issue and read your comments on last month’s missing clue. Are you aware that Christine did find in an older version the missing clues which she sent direct to me as, “One using middle name changed by levellers mate”. I don’t think it qualifies as a potential winner any more than I can interpret the first part of the clue!
    Cheers and thanks!

• 11th February 2018 at 9:50 pm

I was amused and pleased Christine gave you the missing clues – like you Iā€™m none the wiser as to the first part! Can anyone make the connection to the subsequent anagram?

• 13th February 2018 at 9:01 am

I don’t think there is anything subtle intended here – it just refers to a thematic character who has a middle name.